I’m a big fan of savory, protein-filled breakfasts. Although this would work for any meal. This recipe is all about saving time in the morning and all week. Learning to poach eggs in the microwave was a big revelation for me. I followed the directions here and it worked great (you may need to adjust cooking time based on the power of your microwave and the container the egg is in): Microwave Poached Eggs.
For the rest… yes, I could have used fresh kale, and made the lentils from dried, but as I said, this recipe was all about saving time. So, I used frozen, bagged kale and canned lentils. You can make a big batch of this and use it for breakfasts for several days, just poaching a fresh egg each time.
2 15 oz canned lentils, such as Westbrae Natural Organic Lentils
8 oz bag of frozen chopped kale
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
salt, freshly ground pepper and garlic salt to taste
- Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil in large skillet.
- Drain and rinse lentils, add to pan with onion/garlic.
- Season to taste with garlic salt/salt/pepper.
- Cook kale according to bag directions and mix into skillet. Heat through.
- Make poached egg according to microwave instructions in link above.
- Serve egg over bed of kale/lentil mixture.